BenitoLink is excited to announce that is has been awarded an investigative grant. That means BenitoLink can put more time into digging for answers for our readers. LION Publishers, an organization for local independent online news, recently awarded BenitoLink a $1,500 grant toward additional investigative reporting.
"The Local Independent Online News Publishers organization this week awarded $25,000 to 18 of its member newsrooms to report investigative and enterprise stories important to their communities, and to sharpen their skills for more such stories," said a news release sent via email May 10.
Called the Impact-Designed Investigative Grants, the amounts range from $500 to $1,500. Grant recipients are from all over the United States.
The awards were made possible with a grant to LION Publishers from the Ethics and Excellence in Journalism Foundation.
LION Spokesman Steve Beatty said there were "more story ideas than could be financed in this initial round."
The stories are expected to go beyond the typical, strong news reporting already done by these newsrooms. LION hopes the reports will be "shining a light on local issues that otherwise would not be reported."
"Newsrooms play a key role in a healthy democracy, holding public and private officials accountable and exposing instances of danger, waste, fraud, and abuse," the news release stated. "This series of grants makes possible such reporting where it most directly affects audiences — in their hometowns."
LION will highlight the stories resulting from this program when they’re published, but due to the nature of the work, BenioLink is not releasing the topic of the investigative report. The publications receiving the I-DIG grants are:
- Alhambra Source, in Alhambra, California.
- BenitoLink, in San Benito County, California.
- Capitol Hill Seattle.
- The Chester Telegraph, in Chester, Vermont.
- City Limits, in New York City.
- The Connecticut Mirror.
- Delaware Currents, covering the Delaware River Valley.
- The E’ville Eye, in Emeryville, California.
- Gales Creek Journal, in Gales Creek, Oregon.
- Longmont Observer, in Longmont, Colorado.
- Menifee 24/7, in Menifee, California.
- The Orange County Independent, in California.
- Philadelphia Public School Notebook.
- Q City Metro, in Charlotte, North Carolina.
- Racine County Eye, in Wisconsin.
- San Francisco Public Press.
- ThisisReno, in Reno, Nevada.
- What’sUpNewp, in Newport, Rhode Island.
With over 200 members in 45 states, LION’s mission is to foster the viability and excellence of locally focused independent online news organizations, and cultivate their connections to their communities through education and action.
Founded by Edith Kinney Gaylord, Ethics and Excellence in Journalism Foundation’s mission is to invest in the future of journalism by building the ethics, skills, and opportunities needed to advance principled, probing news and information.
Add Facebook comment
Comment using your Facebook account. Facebook comments will be published on this page, and on Facebook. It will not be posted to the "Recent Comments" list on the BenitoLink front page.