- This event has passed.
Pajaro Compass Network Fall Stakeholder Meeting
October 25 @ 8:30 am - 2:00 pmFree
The Pajaro Compass Network Fall Stakeholder Meeting, from 8:30am-12:00pm (with optional walking tour of the property after lunch), will be an excellent opportunity to learn about, connect, and engage in efforts to enhance the environmental, economic, and cultural sustainability of the Pajaro River watershed.
The meeting takes place at the San Benito Agricultural Land Trust (SBALT)’s Nyland Property in San Juan Bautista and features topics relevant to the Upper and Lower Pajaro Watershed as well as a tour of the ranch. The Nyland Property is a 500-acre historic cattle ranch with important wetland habitat and wildlife connectivity values that was recently acquired by SBALT in partnership with three other land trusts. An important feature of this acquisition is a cultural easement, the first of its kind in San Benito County, held by the Amah Mutsun Land Trust. The cultural easement provides tribal access for indigenous land stewardship and cultural and educational activities on the property. Additional presentations include an overview of the “Gabilan to Santa Cruz Mountains Landscape Linkage” project, as well as an invitation for public engagement with a project in the lower watershed: “Improving water system resilience to climate change with levee setback to create multiple benefits.”
**There is no cost to attend. Coffee and pastries will be provided. BRING YOUR OWN LUNCH, if you would like to stay for a picnic by the pond and the walking ranch tour following lunch.**
Featured speakers include:
• Lynn Overtree, Executive Director, San Benito Agricultural Land Trust
• Michael Reeves, Board of Directors President, San Benito Agricultural Land Trust
• Alec Apodaca, Archaeologist and University of California – Berkeley Ph.D. Candidate, Amah Mutsun Land Trust
• Mark Ogonowski, Senior Fish and Wildlife Biologist, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
• Andrew Fisher, Professor of Hydrogeology Earth and Planetary Sciences Department, University of California – Santa Cruz
• Lisa Lurie, Executive Director, Resource Conservation District of Santa Cruz County
• Bryan Largay, Conservation Director, Land Trust of Santa Cruz County
Register by Monday, October 23. Directions and other event details will be emailed to registrants. Please do not show up without registration.
The Venue: SBALT’s Nyland Property, San Juan Bautista (Directions will be emailed to registrants).
The Organizer: Pajaro Compass Network.