Due to CalTrans' relinquishment of control of the main artery through downtown as Highway 25 officially moved to the bypass on the east side of town, Hollister officials recently adopted a policy for the use of banners over San Benito Street.
The city clerk's office receives "many" requests to hang banners over San Benito Street, mid-block between Fifth and Sixth streets. Some of the criteria that must be met to receive permission for a downtown banner include:
- – Must be a local nonprofit organization
- – Group activity open to the public
- – Banner can be for a local event only, not a casting call
- – Banner may be posted for no more than two weeks
- – It must be "tasteful and neat"
- – The applicant must provide a certificate of insurance naming the city as an additional insured in the amount of $1 million
Reservations must be made at least a month in advance at the City Clerk's office in City Hall, 375 Fifth St. For more information, call 636-4300.