The fourth annual San Benito Olive Festival announces its entertainment schedule for Saturday, Oct. 14. The festival will be happening at the charming San Benito County Historical Park in Tres Pinos. Visit with olive growers, wineries, craft brewers and artisans and take the day to eat, drink and play!
Cooking Demonstration Stage
This year, the fresh culinary festival features the talents of a Garlic Showdown Champion, executive chefs, and amazing instructors from a high school culinary arts program and professional culinary academy.
- 10:30 – 11:00 am: Chef Lara Hollinger, Culinary Arts Teacher at Anzar High School in San Juan Bautista
- 11:30 am – 12:15 pm: Chef Yeojin Yi, Chef Instructor at the International Culinary Center (formerly the French Culinary Institute) in Campbell
- 1:00 – 1:45 pm: Chef Carlos Pineda, Chef at the Rebekah Children's Services Culinary Academy and Kneaded Bakery in Gilroy, and the Garlic Showdown Champion of the 2017 Gilroy Garlic Festival
- 2:15 – 3:00 pm: Chef Jeff Walker, Executive Chef at the San Juan Oaks Golf Club
- 3:45 – 4:30 pm: Chef Mona Hayford, Chef/Owner of Monagourmet
The popular DJ Sergio will be the festival’s master of ceremony and spin master throughout the day. Here's the schedule of live bands and cultural dance performers for the event.
- 10:15 am: Joe Fata sings the Star-Spangled Banner to open the festival
- 10:30 am – 12:00 pm: Midnight Sun, a country/rock & roll band from San Martin
- 12:00 – 1:00 pm: Mariachi Juvenil Alma de Mexico, the young band members are from Hollister and Gilroy
- 1:00 – 2:00 pm: The Eldorados, a rock and rhythm and blues band from Monterey
- 2:00 – 2:30 pm: DJ Sergio
- 2:30 – 3:30 pm: Absurdum, a blues/rock band from Hollister
- 3:30 – 4:00 pm: Calpulli Itzpapalotl Danza Azteca, a pre-Columbian Aztec dance group
- 4:00 – 5:00 pm: Mr. O's Jazz Band, the community-based jazz band lead by the ever popular Mr. O
Olive Paint Party
Artist Paul Loughridge will guide participants in painting an olive masterpiece to take home. No art experience is required. Two sessions are scheduled for 11:30 am and 2:30 pm. The cost is $15/person.
Botanical Family Fun (BFF)
Several agriculturally themed activities are included in the cost of admission. Participants can stop by anytime to participate in these activities: Scarecrow Building, Pumpkin Painting and Paint and Plant with Marci Huston of The GardenMart. The schedule for other BFF activities is:
- 11:00 – 11:30 am, 1:00 – 1:30 pm, 3:00 – 3:30 pm: Flower Bouquet Arrangement with Judy Hess of the Gilroy Demonstration Garden
- 11:45 am – 12:15 pm, 1:45 – 2:15 pm, 3:45 – 4:15 pm: Olive Wreath Making with Bea, Malia and Freddy
- 12:15 – 12:45 pm, 1:45 – 2:15 pm: Creating a Succulent Pumpkin Centerpiece with Rosemary Bridwell, Landscape Designer
- 1:30 – 3:30 pm: Rock Painting with ARTI-Culture
A Park Walk
Jim Ostdick, who hiked across America earlier this year, will lead over a mile long walk and geology talk at 11:00 am and 1:00 pm. The walk includes a gentle climb up the trail behind the historic village to a scenic view overlooking the park and the rolling foothills of the Diablo Range. The walk then heads back down and through the historic village to Tres Pinos Creek.
Tickets are available online at Eventbrite–San Benito Olive Festival. They can be purchased in Hollister at Postal Graphics, 1760 Airline Highway, and San Benito Bene, 615-B San Benito Street. Tickets can also be bought at the gate.
Please note that the schedule may change on the day of the event. For more olive festival information, visit www.SanBenitoOliveFestival.com or www.facebook.com/sanbenitoolivefestival, or call 831-537-7270, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.