Community members are invited to Veterans' Memorial Hall at 649 San Benito St. in downtown Hollister on Aug. 17 to discuss planned, major improvements to McCarthy Park on Alvarado Drive. The City of Hollister has received a grant for $667,307 from Housing-Related Parks Program – California Department of Housing to fund improvements at this location, which is near San Andreas Continuation School. The state Parks Program credited/rewarded) the city for its development of 176 housing units.
City staff has generated two conceptual drawings based on input from multiple sources, including a previous public meeting, Parks and Recreation Commission meetings, and comments gathered from social media. Staff hopes to receive general, constructive feedback on the features the community would like installed at the park.
The conceptual drawings do not reflect a final design for the facility; final improvements will be designed by a landscape architectural firm once the features are identified. The two conceptual drawings appearing with this article are partial only. Full images will be provided on Aug. 17.
The anticipated process is as follows:
- Aug. 17 community meeting to decide on the features to be included in the design
- Parks Commission meeting to present the desired feature list/request for qualifications (RFQ) for landscape architect selection
- City Council meeting to approve desired feature list/RFQ for landscape architect selection
- City to issue RFQ for a landscape architect
- City Council to select architect
- Landscape architect to prepare first draft of the design
- Staff to decide on order of completion
- Landscape architect to prepare second draft of design
- Community meeting to present the 90 percent construction plans
- Parks and Recreation meeting to present the 90 percent construction plans
- Landscape architect to prepare the final plans
- Staff to prepare a bid package
- City Council meeting to approve the bid package
- City Council meeting to approve the contract
City staff anticipates the updated park re-opening in 2019. Please join us for this opportunity to discuss features for your park.