Historical preservation is at the heart of the mission of the San Benito County Historical Society. Founded in 1956, the society preserves cherished artifacts at the Wapple House Museum at 498 Fifth St. in Hollister. The growing Historical Village at the county park north of Bolado Park includes historic buildings relocated there from elsewhere in the county.
A stroll down “main street” of the Historical Village will take you past the general store/visitor’s center, Tres Pinos jail, the 1870 era Mary Sullivan house and Willow Creek school, the Dunneville dance hall as well as the Cottage Bar with its wrapped covered porch. Additionally the village setting includes various out buildings, fire hose cart station, and implement barns housing equipment, wagons and carriages from a bygone era. The newest building, the Palmtag apricot cutting shed, is still under construction.
As with any small town, the village and museum require regular upkeep and periodic repairs to keep them available, accessible and enjoyable for generations to come. Park Director Delbert Doty notes that many maintenance tasks are handled by our enthusiastic volunteers, but certain tasks require paid professionals.
With this in mind, the board has embarked on a campaign to raise funds to patch, paint and protect the buildings at the Historical Village and the Wapple House Museum. Donations to the campaign can be made through the web site sbchistoricalsociety.org or checks mailed to 498 Fifth St., Hollister, 95023.