What is Walk a Mile in Her Shoes?
A fun, community event that supports the Emmaus House and Community Solutions programs in which where hundreds, and ultimately thousands, of men and women put on a pair of high-heeled shoes and walk through the streets of downtown Hollister in a light-hearted attempt to build awareness of the very serious issue of domestic violence and its negative impact on the community. Everyone is encouraged to participate, and although appreciated, it is not mandatory for participants to wear high heels.
Will High-heeled Shoes Be Provided?
High-heeled shoes will be provided to every registered participant. The shoes come in a variety of colors and styles. Participants are also encouraged to invest in their own pair.
When and where does the event take place?
This year the event will take place on Saturday, April 6, 2013. Event check-in begins at 10:00 am and the walk will begin at 11:00 am. The Start and Finish of the Walk is on the City lot located at the corner of Fourth and San Benito Streets (400 San Benito St.)
What programs and services will my donation fund?
Proceeds from Walk a Mile in Her Shoes will benefit the Emmaus House and Community Solutions Programs. All of the services provided by Emmaus House and Community solutions work to support the individual’s journey from victim to survivor to achiever. The programs include emergency shelter, a 24-Hour emergency hotline, sexual assault crisis response. Services include individual and group counseling, medical advocacy services, safety planning, children’s art therapies, financial literacy training, assistance in finding employment and housing, and resolving legal issues such as temporary restraining orders.
How can I help?
There are several ways that corporations, individuals, and community groups can support Walk a Mile in Her Shoes. You can…..
• Become an Official Sponsor of Walk a Mile in Her Shoes 2013! Please take the time to look at the 2013 Walk a Mile in Her Shoes Sponsorship Packet . If you have questions, please contact Patrice Kuerschner [email protected]
• Organize a team of walkers. You can register for the walk at http://emmaushouse.eventbrite.com.
Register before midnight of March 15st and each member of your team can register for only $30 (plus $2.64 site booking fee)! If you miss the deadline, don’t worry – it’s only $40 from March 16th (plus $3.30 site booking fee).
• Create a fundraising team and invite all your friends, family, neighbors, and colleagues to support you on the walk! Prizes will be announced for: First individual to cross finish line in heels, first team to cross finish line in heels, top individual fundraiser, top team fundraiser, and largest team, so don’t waste time – get started straight away!
• Promote the event to your colleagues, family and friends and encourage them to register for the walk or donate towards your team’s effort.
• Ladies – Become a ‘sister walker’ $ 20.00 bring your own heels, show them how it is done!
• Become a Shoe sponsor. Diamond, Sapphire, Emerald and Ruby shoe sponsor ships available.
• Fundraising, now that you have signed-up get others to support the cause by sponsoring you
to Walk a Mile in Her Shoes!
• Become a volunteer! We always need help before and on the day of the event. Please contact Patrice Kuerschner [email protected] or Erica Elliot [email protected]
• Make a monetary donation towards the event by visiting http://emmaushouse.eventbrite.com
• Donate items that can be used for the raffle/auction.
• Donate gift certificates and other prizes to be used in the participant goody bags.
Emmaus House 829 San Benito St., Ste 200, Hollister, Ca 95023 (831) 630-5899 Tax ID: 77-0407292
Community Solutions 310 4th St., Hollister, Ca 95023 (831) 637-1094