Media contact: Barbara Earley, (831) 634-0409
“WALK A MILE IN HER SHOES” RAISES FUNDS
TO COMBAT LOCAL DOMESTIC VIOLENCE AND SEXUAL ASSAULT
HOLLISTER, CA — Show your wife, girlfriend, mother, or any of the other women in your life that you care enough to walk a mile in their shoes in a fundraiser combating violence against women.
The event, “Walk a Mile in Her Shoes: A Men’s March Against Violence,” takes place Saturday, April 5th, in downtown Hollister to raise money for Emmaus House Domestic Violence Shelter and Community Solutions of San Benito County.
The event is open to both men and women, who will walk in women’s high heels for one mile to show their dedication to the cause. Check-in starts at 10 a.m. and the walk starts at 11 a.m. at the corner of Fourth and San Benito streets. It will also end at that location.
Early registration entries are $35 each for men and include a pair of La Dame footwear to walk in. Day of event price is $ 40.
The light-hearted event has a serious purpose: to build awareness of the very serious issue of domestic violence and its negative impact on the community. Everyone is encouraged to participate, and although appreciated, it is not mandatory for participants to wear high heels.
High-heeled shoes in a variety of colors and styles will be provided to every registered participant.
Proceeds from “Walk a Mile in Her Shoes” will benefit the Emmaus House and Community Solutions Programs. The programs include an emergency shelter, a 24-hour emergency hotline, and sexual assault crisis response, and services include individual and group counseling, medical advocacy services, safety planning, children’s art therapies, financial literacy training, assistance in finding employment and housing, and resolving legal issues such as temporary restraining orders.
“In 2013 Emmaus House served 147 survivors and provided crisis intervention and safety planning to over 350 individuals. We are excited to hold this event again this year to continue to raise awareness about these issues in our community.” Said Patrice Kuerschner, Executive Director for Emmuas House.
There are several ways that corporations, individuals, and community groups can support “Walk a Mile in Her Shoes.”
• Become an official sponsor of the event. Sponsorship packets are available; for information, contact Angela Shelton, email@example.com. Or Emmaus House 831-630-5899
• Organize a team of walkers. You can register for the walk at www.eventbrite.com.walkamile
• Create a fundraising team and invite all your friends, family, neighbors, and colleagues to support you on the walk. All walkers will be eligible for raffle prizes.
• Women who bring their own heels can be a “sister walker” for $25.
• Become a Shoe Sponsor. Diamond, Sapphire, Emerald and Ruby shoe sponsorships are available.
• Become a volunteer. Help is needed before and on the day of the event. Contact Jennifer Irvin, Jenniferfirstname.lastname@example.org or Erica Elliot, Erica.Elliott@communitysolutions.org.
Also being sought are monetary donations and donations of items that can be used to support our ‘Walk’ participants. Both teams and individuals are being encouraged to participate.
For information, go to http://eventbrite.com.walkamile or call Emmaus House, (831) 630-5899.