This Foodie Friday I thought I'd go back to my roots and include a recipe with some good Scottish Whisky, and since my husband has quite the collection, maybe its time to break into a bottle and make this again. When we make it at home we substitute Goats Brie for the brie in the recipe, since goats cheese is the only cheese I can digest, however if you dont have any dietary restrictions just make it with some good old French Brie.
This recipe will serve 8
- 1 tablespoon olive oil ( I prefer Pietra Santa Olive Oil) and a little butter about 2 ounces.
- 5-6 finely chopped shallots.
- 8 cloves of garlic, crushed.
- 1 lb 6 oz of chopped mushrooms.
- 4 1/4 cups vegetable stock.
- 1 cup Red Wine
- 1/4 cup Glenlivet Whisky
- 1 large sprig of Fresh Thyme
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 12 oz Brie with any thick rind removed
- Salt and Fresh Ground Black Pepper
Begin by melting the butter with the olive oil in a large pan. Now add the shallots and garlic and saute on a low heat until soft but not browned, then add the mushrooms and cook until they have softened.
Next, add the stock, wine, whisky and thyme, bring to the boil and reduce by half. Add the cream and brie and reduce until you reach your desired soup consistency.
Remove the sprig of thyme, using an immersion blender or food processor lightly liquidise the soup and season with ssalt and lots of black pepper.
Serve in warmed bowls with lots of crusty french bread.