I have the great pleasure of catering at Pietra Santa Winery on Saturday, May 2. It's their annual White Glove Tier picnic, where they honor their exclusive wine club members for their ongoing patronage with a luncheon on the grounds of the Dickinson House. I love planning menus, especially when it comes down to a food and wine pairing.
The menu for Saturday's picnic is as follows:
- International Cheese and Charcuterie Selection
- Mozzarella and Zucchini Salad with lemon vinaigrette
- Scotch Filet of Beef with a french potato salad and haricot vert
- Chocolate Mousse
The Mozzarella and Zucchini Salad is very simple to make and the flavors are bright and fresh. It's the perfect accompaniment to a cold, crisp glass of chardonnay.
Mozzarella and Zucchini Salad
- 1 small green zucchini, thinly sliced
- 1 small yellow neck squash, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons small mint leaves
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon superfine sugar
- Sea salt and fresh cracked black pepper
- 4 1/2 oz buffalo mozzarella halved
Place the zucchini and squash and mint in a bowl. Combine the olive oil, lemon juice, sugar, salt and pepper, pour over the salad and toss gently to combine. Divide between 2 serving plates and top with the mozzarella. If you have a fresh lemon available, zest some of the skin on top of each salad for garnish.