Information provided by the Rotary Club of Hollister.
The Rotary Club of Hollister awarded $28,000 in college scholarships to 15 local students that reside in San Benito County and attended San Benito High, Anzar, Pinnacles, Palma and Monterey Bay Academy. That is the largest amount allocated in the club’s 94 years of existence, according to a recent release.
Congratulations to all of the 2019 Scholarship Recipients:
- Christian Casarez (Cal State University Chico)
- Clarissa Corona (Cal Poly San Luis Obispo)
- Shane Culler (Walla Walla University)
- Adrian Gomez (Cal State University Monterey Bay)
- Christian Gonzalez (Trades School)
- Yasmin Gonzalez (Cal State University San Francisco)
- Alyssa Ito (University of California at Davis)
- Megan Matthews (Cal State University Monterey Bay)
- Arely Campos Melendez (UCLA)
- Sarah Meza (University of California Irvine)
- Joseph Nino (Cal Poly San Luis Obispo)
- Anessa Ocampo (Cal State University Stanislaus)
- Ian Sills (Stanford University)
- Jessica Slater (Cal Poly San Luis Obispo)
- Sean Slavich (University of California Berkeley)
Youth programs and scholarships have been a strong focus for the club for many decades, in addition to other local programs (Stuff the Bus, 12 Days of Giving, etc.) and international projects (construction of clean water wells in Nigeria, Cameroon and Ghana; sanitation in Nigeria and Ghana; maternal health in Nigeria; education in Mexico, Philippines, and South America; literacy; oxygen generator and supplies in Ethiopia; polio eradication globally and much more).
The Rotary Club of Hollister was founded in 1925 and lives by the motto “Service Above Self.” Hollister Rotary’s major fundraiser is the annual Mission 10 Race, which takes place in late January at the Mission San Juan Bautista. The club also raises funds throughout the year by participating in the Saddle Horse Show and Rodeo in late June and other smaller fundraisers.