With everything happening with the coronavirus pandemic, we at BenitoLink want to provide a roundup of recent articles, as well as closures and cancellations happening in San Benito County.
As of 3:50 p.m. on May 22 there are 69 people have tested positive for the coronavirus in San Benito County since February. Nine these are active, 58 have recovered and two have died. For the most updated information, visit the San Benito County COVID-19 Dashboard.
RV dwellers find temporary haven in San Benito County—Campground reservations are hard to come by during lockdown. COVID-19 situation leaves many in the lurch.
Hazel Hawkins Memorial Hospital has opened its Sunnyslope Lab to all patients needing non-coronavirus-related tests.
Monday-Friday 7 a.m. to 12 p.m.
7-9 a.m.: High-risk patients by appointment only.
9 a.m. to 12 p.m.: All others, one patient at a time, no appointment needed.
Two farmworker relief drives will take place this weekend on Saturday, May 23:
- Hollister Fire Department Station One on Fifth Street, Hollister. 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Soccer field parking lot near San Juan School off the Alameda, San Juan Bautista. 10:30 a.m. to 12 p.m.
-The State has several hotlines for residents to call for suicide prevention, abuse, and mental health.
-The Division of Occupational Safety and Health, better known as Cal/OSHA, helps protect workers from health and safety hazards in almost every workplace in California.
Visit Cal/OSHA for information about workplace safety and health.
File a whistleblower complaint if you suffer retaliation for reporting a workplace safety hazard
Obtain free consultation services
Contact Cal/OSHA at (844) 522-6734.
State and federal elected officials’ COVID-19 web pages:
- Jimmy Panetta
- Anna Caballero
- Robert Rivas
- Kamala Harris
- Diane Feinstein
- State of California: https://covid19.ca.gov/ https://covid19.ca.gov/es/
Food Distribution Community Food Bank www.communityfoodbankofsbc.org
Drive-thru service at the marketplace Fridays and Saturdays, 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. at 1133 San Felipe Rd. Hollister.
Sign-ups for supplemental food are done by phone 831-637-0340
Food Distribution Salvation Army hollister.salvationarmy.org
Drive-thru service Tuesdays at 11 a.m. at 910 Buena Vista Rd. Hollister
Sign-ups not required
To schedule delivery call 310-753-6520
Public Assistance CalFresh/Medi-Cal/Cash Aid/GA
apply online at www.c4yourself.com
Unemployment Insurance Benefits Employment Development Department
apply online at www.edd.ca.gov/ui_online
Senior Services Delivery of essential items and food city of Hollister and Jovenes de Antano
Disability/Paid Family Leave Employment Development Department
apply online at www.edd.ca.gov/sdi_online
United Way of San Benito County 2-1-1 Text your Zip Code to 831-898-211 or call 211 Text COVID2019 to 211211
Tips for avoiding COVID-19
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. Use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol if soap and water are not available.
- Avoid touching your face with unwashed hands.
- Keep a minimum of a six feet physical distance from others.
- Avoid people who are sick.
- Stay at home. Only leave to take care of essential errands.
- Cover your cough and sneeze.
- Cover your face (mouth and nose) with protective covering when in public
- Disinfect frequently touched objects.
- If you think you might be infected call your health care professional and follow their directions.
BenitoLink is a nonprofit news website that reports on San Benito County. Our team is working around the clock during this time when accurate information is essential. It is expensive to produce local news and community support is what keeps the news flowing. Please consider supporting BenitoLink, San Benito County’s news.