Pinnacles National Park is looking for Preventative Search And Rescue (PSAR) assistants to help park rangers with visitor safety. As part of the PSAR team, you will hike one to two days month (a year-long comitment required) helping visitors with directions, water, and administering basic first aid.
1. Willing to hike 8-12 miles/day.
2. An interest in public safety and associated professions.
3. Excellent customer service skills, especially on very hot days.
4. Knowledge of park trails.
5. Ability to carry a backpack 20-30 pounds with essential equipment, extra water, and first aid supplies for visitors (equipment for visitors will be provided by the Park).
6. Ability to use a radio.
7. Any previous experience with emergency medical profession helpful.
8. Basic first aid and CPR required. (First Aid and CPR training will be supplied if necessary).
9. Function calmly under routine conditions and work under stress created by emergency situations.
10. Communicate effectively with staff and the public during contacts.
11. Understand and communicate park regulations, facilities, and recreational opportunities.
12. Perform in a reliable, punctual, resourceful, and detail oriented manner.
13. Enjoy working alone or with other volunteers/personnel with diverse backgrounds.
Minimum hours: Two full hiking days per month; average of six hours per day, Saturday, Sundays and holidays only.
Contact the volunteer office at Pinnacles National Park at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 831-389-4486 ext. 243