As part of National Small Business Week, April 30 to May 6, the San Benito County Chamber of Commerce is encouraging all high school students to get to know their community by entering a writing contest.
Writing Contest Rules
The Chamber encourages high school students to explore what the Chamber of Commerce means to our community, including how it ties into tourism, local business and economic development. This is an opportunity to have your article published on BenitoLink, in the local newspaper, and several social media outlets. Participants may even be published in a national magazine or be part of a radio show.
Simple rules with countywide recognition
Research by interviewing Chamber of Commerce members, visit tourist hot spots, or even visit a business you didn’t know was in San Benito County.
- You are writing an article to be published in the Chamber’s annual directory. The article will be the first page in the tourism section.
- Write an article enticing the reader by expressing what San Benito County is through your eyes and why they should visit here.
Chamber of Commerce
- Research what a Chamber of Commerce does. How does your local Chamber of Commerce participate in the business community? For what goals does a Chamber of Commerce strive? After researching, describe how local businesses would benefit by becoming a Chamber member or how a current member would benefit from joining a committee of the Chamber's Board of Directors.
- Study the new demographic and growing population in San Benito County.
- Identify a need/want in the community, either for a specific target demographic or the community as a whole. Express why there is a need/want and support with evidence.
- Minimum 500 words/maximum 2,000
- Minimum three sources – be sure to list them
- Deadline June 1
Articles will be read and judged by Chamber of Commerce staff and Board of Directors. The top three article winners, in each category, will be announced at the Chamber Mixer on June 14 on social media via Facebook, on BenitoLink and in print through the Free Lance.