On Saturday, April 22, the Rotary Club of Hollister along with San Juan Bautista, Gilroy, Gilroy Sunrise, Morgan Hill and Almaden Valley Rotary Clubs will come together to make improvements to San Benito County Historical Park in Tres Pinos.
The Area 6 Community Project at the park takes place on Earth Day. The Area 6 clubs formed a collaboration called the Area 6 International Service Committee or (World Community Service 6) more than 10 years ago to pool together Rotary District 5170 Designated Funds that come from Rotary International’s Foundation contributions.
The Rotary Foundation contributions are invested for a three-year cycle and then allocated back to the clubs in the district. Each year, the Area 6 International Service Committee funds two or three global projects around the world and also funds a community project which rotates each year through the Area 6 clubs.
This year it is Hollister’s turn.
Area 6 club volunteers will come together to spend their Saturday making upgrades to the Historical Park. We’d like to thank all of our Area 6 Rotarians for your time and financial support of this wonderful project.
Much of the groundwork of construction and planning has been put in place by Hollister Rotarian and native Rich Marcus, who has graciously taken the lead on this project. This year’s Area 6 Improvement Project will consist of constructing a new barbecue area and relocate an existing building for a serving area adjacent to Dunneville Dance Hall. The project has had several work project days prior to the final Work Day. Project components include the following:
- Provide concrete foundation for project area
- Relocate existing 6’ x 10’ building approximately 200’ from existing location to proposed location
- Install new service window in relocated building
- Install support beams, install headers for new metal roof
- Install metal roof
- Install and provide power supply to relocated building and Dance Hall.
- Provide and install masonry walls for barbecue pit and gas line for heating unit
- Paint or stain serving building, roof frame, and/or another historical building