This article was contributed by Rozas House Org., Inc. which is a nonprofit based in San Juan Bautista.
In an ongoing effort to restore and maintain the adobe they call their Parlor home, the Native Daughters of the Golden West Parlor No. 179 of San Juan Bautista have just finalized the restoration of the balcony and exterior stairs of the building. Headed by master restorationist Tim Lantz and his team, this effort was completed by the end of March. Extreme care and attention to historic detail such as the reuse of some of the original square handmade nails were incorporated to sustain the original design while insuring a safe place for use by the Daughters in some of the civic activities that they engage in.
The cost of this enterprise was paid for in part by the Parlor and by donors interested in preserving the old building, C. 1840, that so much reflects the atmosphere of early times in San Juan. Along with this was a generous grant from the Community Foundation for San Benito County which made it possible to accomplish the Parlor's goal.
Last year monies were obtained once again from the Community Foundation in a matching grant to repair adobe walls in some of the lower portions of the building along with drainage improvements.
In 1935 the Parlor purchased the adobe. At that time it had fallen into great disrepair and was not safe or usable. After several years of fund raising by the Daughters it was restored and put into use and has been an integral part of the community ever since. It serves as a meeting place for the Parlor every month and is often used by other organizations for special events. Additionally a monthly Pedro Card Party on the second Friday is open to the public. Weekly yoga classes are also open to the public.
San Juan Bautista Parlor No. 179 Native Daughters of the Golden West was instituted in 1910. The Native Daughters of the Golden West is a fraternal and patriotic organization founded on the principles of love of home, devotion to the flag, veneration of the pioneers, and faith in the existence of God. Since its inception in 1886, the work of this California organization has grown to include a variety of lasting initiatives: The Children’s Foundation, Americanism and civic participation, California Admission Day, California lighthouse preservation, California Mission restoration, education and scholarship programs, environmental issues, historical landmarks, an annual art talent contest, a pioneer roster, and veterans' welfare.
More on the parlor can be found at http://www.ndgw.org/179.htm. The main site for the Native Daughters of the Golden West is www.ndgw.org.
Funded in part by a community impact grant from the community Foundation for San Benito County