safeway logo.jpg

The Hollister Fire Department on Thursday morning responded to reports of a structure fire at the Hollister Safeway store at the corner of Tres Pinos Road and Airline Highway and found a small electrical fire in the meat department. Employees washing down the area apparently got water into a wall outlet to cause the short-circuit just after 9 a.m.

The store was evacuated for a brief time while crews were on scene and for awhile after that during the clean-up of the scene.

"The fire was contained to an electrical outlet with no extension into the structure of the building," said Fire Chief Michael O'Connor. "Safeway is safe and open for customers."