The San Benito County Community Action Board and Community Services & Workforce Development is partnering with Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) for the fourth year to provide free income tax assistance to San Benito County residents.
The VITA sites provide accessible location for taxpayers to get assistance in preparing their state and federal income tax returns. There is no charge to have returns completed and e-filed.
The MyFreeTaxes Partnership provides free state and federal tax preparation and filing assistance for qualified individuals. It’s easy, safe, secure and 100 percent free.
VITA & MyFreeTaxes empowers working individuals and families with low-to-moderate income to access free tax preparation and filing assistance services online, at home, at a community center or with the help of a nonprofit partner.
Anyone making less than $58,000 can complete their own taxes online for FREE at www.myfreetaxes.com
Residents having an income below $53,000 are eligible to receive their free tax return completed at any one of the following VITA sites:
- Community Services & Workforce Development, 1111 San Felipe Rd., Suite 108, in Hollister – Wednesdays, 6-9 p.m.: Jan. 21 – April 15
- Community Food Bank of SBC, 1133 San Felipe Rd., in Hollister (831) 902-0025 Mondays, 5:30-8:30 p.m.: January 19 – April 13
- The Grange, 400 Rose Ave., in Aromas – Saturday, 10 a.m.-2 p.m.: Jan. 31, Feb. 28, and March 21
- Mars Hill Coffee House, 610 San Benito St. in Hollister Saturday 10 a.m.-2 p.m.: Jan. 24
- Food Bank, 201 3rd St. Suite F, San Juan Bautista – Saturday 10 a.m.-2 p.m: Feb. 21, March 14
- Tres Pinos School, 5635 Airline Hwy., Tres Pinos – Saturday 10 a.m.-2 p.m: Feb. 14
- Paicines – Dates to be determined
Call for more info:(831) 637-9293 ext. 14
All tax preparers at the site participate in classroom training, along with individual on-line study, in order to become fully certified before completing returns. All preparers are volunteers and typically receive no compensation for their service at the site.
What to bring with you:
- photo identification,
- Social Security cards for each member of the household and
- income information (such as your W-2’s)
- last year’s tax return
- bank routing number and account number (to take advantage of direct deposit for any refunds.
Spanish language assistance is also available and no appointment is necessary. Returns are completed on a first-come, first-served basis.
For further program information, contact: Keri Battin (831) 637-9293 ex 14 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.