With everything happening with the coronavirus pandemic, we at BenitoLink want to provide a roundup of recent articles, as well as closures and cancellations happening in San Benito County.
As of 4:30 p.m. on April 15 there are 41 confirmed cases in San Benito County since February, five of which are active, 34 recovered and two deaths. For the most updated information, visit the San Benito County COVID-19 Dashboard.
San Benito County Health and Human Service Agency has provided a list of agencies, in both English and Spanish, who can assist residents in need at this time. See attached PDFs. This information has been mailed to registered voters.
SJB hiring part-time disaster service worker—Position will help businesses apply for COVID-19 relief funds.
Pacific Scientific supplies hospital with face shields—Engineers use open source model as a starting point.
SBC Superior Court extends rescheduling of hearings—Effort made to curtail effects of COVID-19.
-State and federal elected officials’ COVID-19 web pages:
- Jimmy Panetta: https://panetta.house.gov/coronavirus
- Anna Caballero: https://sd12.senate.ca.gov/
- Robert Rivas: https://a30.asmdc.org/coronavirus-covid-19
- State of California: https://covid19.ca.gov/
–The State of California Employment Development Department will be extending its phone service hours due to need. The call center will be operating 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. seven days a week. This will begin Monday, April 20.
Phone: (800) 300-5616
-Effective immediately through June 12, the San Benito County Superior Court will reschedule the following matters:
- Out of Custody Criminal Arraignments
- Out of Custody Criminal Pre-Trial Conferences and Non-Urgent Hearings on Motions
- Truancy Court
- Drug Court
- Behavioral Health Court
- Traffic Arraignments
- Criminal Fine Reviews
- Civil Jury and Court Trials and Probate Trials
- All Criminal Trials are Suspended per Order of Chief Justice
- Unlimited Civil Motions
- Limited Civil Motions and Trials—except Unlawful Detainers related to Health and Safety
- Judicial Foreclosures
- Small Claims Hearings
- Adoption Proceedings
- Non-urgent Trust and Estate Matters
- Case Management Conferences
- Mandatory Settlement Conferences
- Non-Emergency Family Hearings and Trials
- Non-Emergency Child Support Hearings
- Friday Morning Walk-In Calendar
The Court will also suspend in-person self help center appointments and walk-ins.
-The San Benito County Chamber of Commerce asks for businesses to complete a survey so they can gauge how the SBC Chamber and its network of businesses and local partnering organizations can continually be of service during this time.
-Recology said that businesses affected by COVID-19 can request a reduction in service to reduce monthly charges. A business that is temporarily closed can also ask for a temporary suspension of service that will stop charges until your business needs service again.
Customers experiencing financial hardship due to COVID-19 may contact customer service to discuss payment arrangements. Recology will not stop residential or business service for non-payment during the shelter in place. Recology offers “Lifeline” (reduced rates) for qualifying low income residents.
–Crēdo Studio is planning a Facebook live virtual paint night on April 25, from 4-5:30 p.m.
Tips for avoiding COVID-19
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. Use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol if soap and water are not available.
- Avoid touching your face with unwashed hands.
- Keep a minimum of a six feet physical distance from others.
- Avoid people who are sick.
- Stay at home. Only leave to take care of essential errands.
- Cover your cough and sneeze.
- Disinfect frequently touched objects.
- If you think you might be infected call your health care professional and follow their directions.
BenitoLink is a nonprofit news website that reports on San Benito County. Our team is working around the clock during this time when accurate information is essential. It is expensive to produce local news and community support is what keeps the news flowing. Please consider supporting BenitoLink, San Benito County’s news.